Check out these great deals picked up by Arthur Frommer for travel to the Dominican Republic. In the bitterly competitive world of January vacations to the tropics, Air Canada Vacations has (at least temporarily) seized the lead with a unique policy of pricing several destinations on a special basis for two people travelling together: The first person pays a low price, the second person pays almost half less (a variant of “BOGO”, or “Buy One Get One Free”), and the results are a number of excellent bargains, which lead this week’s list of the 20 best bargain vacations from Toronto:
(1) January, Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic): $546 for the second passenger, $936 for the first passenger on a seven-night, all-inclusive air-and-land package from Toronto to the Bahia Principe San Juan in Puerto Plata, standard room, three meals daily and unlimited drinks, and including all air taxes and fees, leaving Toronto on Jan. 7, 14, 21 and 28. Contact aircanadavacations.ca or phone 866-529-2079.
(2) January Samana (Dominican Republic): $656 for the second passenger, $1,156 for the first passenger on a seven-night, all-inclusive air-and-land package from Toronto to the Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa resort, standard room, three meals daily and unlimited drinks, including all air taxes and fees, leaving Toronto Jan. 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22 and 23. Contact aircanadavacations.ca or phone 866-529-2079.
(3) February Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic): $909 per person for round-trip air from Toronto on Transat (including all fees and taxes) and seven nights of all-inclusive arrangements (hotel, three meals daily, unlimited drinks) at the Barcelo Puerto Plata, departing Feb. 3, all from Transat Holidays (866-322-6649).
(4) February in Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic): $805 per person, including round-trip air from Toronto (and all taxes and fees), and seven nights with three meals and unlimited drinks daily at the 411-room, beachfront Celuisma Playa Dorada, via Sunwing Vacations (sunwing.ca) and Sunwing Airlines. Tuesday departures and Puerto Plata in place of Punta Cana are the key to saving up to $500 per person off the February cost of all-inclusive stays in the newer Punta Cana area, yet for a beachfront vacation fully as pleasant (in my view). The departure of Tuesday, Feb. 8, will cost $805 per person; the departures of Feb. 15 and 22 will cost $855 per person. You would easily pay $1,200 and $1,300 (including taxes and fees) for similar air-and-land packages to equivalent Punta Cana hotels.
(5) Four-Star Punta Cana, Dominican Republic: $967. Though Punta Cana packages are available for considerably less than $967, the new Thomas Cook North America products on Sunquest.ca, using Jazz Airlines, make use only of four-star-and-up hotels, and are thus quite a bargain. This package flies you round-trip between Toronto and Punta Cana on Jazz Airlines (including all taxes and fees) and puts you for seven nights in a Premier room at the four-star Grand Paradise Bavaro, including three meals daily and unlimited drinks. Departures are Jan. 10, 17 and 24, 2011. Call Thomas Cook North America at 800-387-8438 or contact Sunquest.ca.